Sunday, February 25, 2007

The pros and cons of working on the weekend

Pros
> No phone/email interruptions (primarily those with last-minute/urgent/must-be-done-now requests).
> No obligation to keep “regular hours.” If I feel like strolling into the bdo at around 11.30 or noon, who cares? If I sneak downstairs for an extended snack or feel like wrapping it up around 2, I can.
> I can turn off email entirely for hours at a time, without feeling guilty or worried that I am missing an important message (see first bullet above).
> I am definitely more productive and able to get more done in less time (see first and third bullets above).

Cons
> It’s still the freakin’ weekend and I’d rather be outside playing, watching a silly daytime movie, catching up on chores, ANYTHING other than working.

Conclusion: Even in the fabulous bdo, with all the comforts of home just one flight of stairs away, working on the weekend is still: working on the weekend.

Yuk.

No comments: