Friday, October 24, 2008

Word Girl Geek Love Revisited

Back in November - almost a year ago - I posted briefly about how much I wanted a Kindle. Earlier this year, a business colleague was gracious enough to give me one as a gift and it has more than lived up to my expectations.

Most people I know crinkle their faces at me when I tell them that yes, I am in love with it. "Reading on a computer? Really?" Well no - it's not a computer; it's digital ink/electronic paper - a technology specifically designed to be read. I think this is people's biggest stumbling block with the Kindle. You have to start from a platform of understanding that it is nothing like a computer monitor.

I find it difficult to explain why I love it so much. It's partly because the minute I think I am interested in a book, I can pick up my Kindle and, LITERALLY in seconds, wirelessly download a "sample" for free. The sample is usually at LEAST a full chapter if not more. Or if there is a book I KNOW I want, I can purchase it with one click on the Kindle and be reading it in seconds. (You don't need a computer to do this - there is no 'syncing' or anything like that.) If I am sitting comfortably in a chair or snugly warm in bed, I do not even have to stand up to get a new book to read.

I can also instantly look up words I don't know in a text, highlight text, make notes, add bookmarks. It's insane. And it's not just books; you can purchase single issues or subscriptions to tons of newspapers and magazines. And did I mention that EVERYTHING is less expensive in its Kindle version than in its print version. Oh, and I can change the type size whenever I want. Some days my eyes are more weary than others and I increase the type size on those days.

Anyway... I guess I just did a fairly good job of explaining why I love my Kindle, but the reason for the post today is this: I won't need to explain it anymore, ever again. Because today Oprah gave everyone in her audience a Kindle.

Earlier in the day I saw a 15-sec promo for the show saying she would be revealing her new favorite "gadget" and in the pit of my soul I knew... I don't imagine I have much in common with Ms. Winfrey and often our taste in books is quite at odds, but the one thing I suspect we share is an absolute love of reading.

So the Kindle has been touched by the magic wand of an Oprah endorsement and thus I breathe a tiny sigh of relief. Because now, when I have occasion to speak of "my Kindle," instead of blank and perplexed faces, I will be met with, "Oh yeah! That thing that Oprah has!!!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that when Oprah was explaining the Kindle to a friend recently, the friend responded, "Oh yeah, that thing that Carole has!"

Jodee