Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Jersey Fresh

Some have asked, "What's with the tomatoes?"

Right. Well. I am a Jersey Girl. I once had big hair. I once drove a red car. I eat pork roll (but only the Shoprite Tangy variety, sliced very thin and cooked well-done). I GROW TOMATOES. And I believe Jersey tomatoes are the absolute best-tasting tomatoes you can get. I've traveled. I've sampled. Ours are the best.

Mine, in particular, are really yummy. I can't think of many things more delightful than picking a ripe tomato off the vine, holding it gently to your cheek so you can feel the sun's warm lovin', and then slicing it up for a sandwich. The first tomato of the year is reserved for a tomato sandwich. A thin smear of mayo (real mayo, not that miracle whip crap, and no 'lite' or fat-free varieties); a light, light, light sprinkle of salt; and about 3 or 4 slices of the perfect fruit, depending on the size of your bread. I grow my little babies from seed and they should be ripening up in the next few weeks. Ahh, the sweet joy of anticipation.

The photo is of some of my tomato babies from a few years ago. I love tomatoes, food in general and cooking. I also like the color red a lot. I like the earthy, nurturing connotation of the image. And so... it's my profile pic (everywhere online, in fact). Tomatoes Are Me. I am tomatoes. I am... a Jersey Tomato.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

YOU ARE ALSO A BIG TEASE!!!! Dang, girl!!! My mouth is watering now! Please tell me that there are Jersey tomatoes in my future. Please?? Please?!?!?!?!?

Tom Carten said...

(real mayo, not that miracle whip crap)

Beg your pardon, but when I was a teen, I used to have Miracle Whip sandwiches.