Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm sorry. It's that time of year.

In an earlier post, I mentioned in passing that my mom had ordered some tomato plants for Will and I as a Christmas gift. They are from White Flower Farm and arrived in great shape. We quickly put them in the ground and they almost immediately started flowering (I think one arrived with buds on it). It's an heirloom collection, which is all new to me.

At this point, they all pretty much have fruit on them already, so I decided I needed to know what they look like ripe so I can pick 'em! They have names that lead me to believe I could get confused, like GREEN Zebra and BLACK prince. So I went out on the web and found pictures of what they will look like all grown up!! This is what they will look like (these are NOT my tomatoes):

Green Zebra


Black Prince


Orange Strawberry Oxheart


Gold Medal Yellow


Red Brandywine


Riesentraube


I'm now sort of freaking out with excitement about these tomatoes. They all look SOOO yummy and I really dig yellow and orange tomatoes, but have never grown any. (Not to mention black tomatoes!!!) A little disappointed in myself that I didn't figure out that the "riesentraube" would be a grape tomato variety (Frau Haas would be so saddened).

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Wow! Looks yummy! I am interested to know what they taste like. The Thriftway always has heirloom tomatoes in the late summer, but I never bought them. Keep me posted!