Friday, August 1, 2008

First Feast of '08

For lunch today I enjoyed my first little feast from the garden. Had a ripe Green Zebra, Black Prince and one little Riesentraube. We've actually had a few ripe Black Princes, but there also seems to be a slug issue with that plant (see pictures at the bottom of the post), which had made it difficult to really enjoy any of the fruit (not much left after cutting away the slug trail).

This was lunch:

BTW - the mozz is fresh from a local farm right next door in Port Colden. Got it at the Washington Farmer's Market. More tales from the market today - will save for another post.

This was HEAVEN!!! And I was shocked at how different each tasted. The Riesentraube was the middle-of-the-road flavor in this trio. The Black Prince was crazy sweet and the Green Zebra was nice and tangy! I know it looks odd and you're not sure what to expect, but for my pallet, the Green Zebra was the best. As of this moment, I'm thinking I may want to try growing those again next year. Ah tomatoes. YUMMMMM!!

And look how PRETTY the Green Zebra is!



The Black Prince is really nice looking too,

As long as you can't see the slug trail : - (

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a big spread in Southern Living this month about all the heirloom tomatoes. I thought of you- their photos had nothing on yours.

Ginny