Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Spring Thing

You’d think by now it would have become passé. Here I am, almost 39 years on this planet, and every Spring it’s like I’ve never been here before.

This morning I did some laundry and went to hang it out on the line. The grass was still wet with dew, so I took my shoes off and walked across the lawn barefoot. Have you ever done this? You should. I know a lot of moms frown on it (fear of bugs, bees, and/or pet poo between the toes – which are all valid concerns) but it’s SOOO worth the risk. There is nothing like soft, new spring grass, cool and damp under your feet as the sun is just starting to warm up everything else. Probably not for everyone though… my tree-hugger-ness is showing. I swear I started to hear music from the Hair soundtrack and trippy psychedelic colors swirled before my eyes (I am on antihistamines though, so … perhaps…).

There’s other stuff too: I forget how colorful tulips and daffodils are; I forget how absolutely perfect the temperature is for sleeping and working in the BDO Annex Office 2 (back deck); I forget that the temperature changes a LOT from day-to-day or during any given day and begin dressing from the wardrobe-of-wishful-thinking (thus ending up entirely ill-prepared to watch Matthew's baseball game.)

It really is perplexing that I forget until it’s upon me. “Oh yeah, Spring is here. Look at that.” It’s nice though. A happy surprise each year. Yay Spring!

No comments: