Monday, May 7, 2007

Language Matters: Ghetto

One of the style books I refer to regularly has a great line in its introduction. The gist of it is: Language evolves. Deal with it and don’t be a stick in the mud.

I embrace this philosophy. I’ll bend to most linguistic trends. I’ve finally accepted the fact that online is one word (even though it should be two, and hyphenated when used as a modifier). But I am really uncomfortable with this new use of the word ‘ghetto’ as an adjective. It’s used to describe things as worthless, meaningless, below consideration, etc.

The first time I ever heard it used this way – so long ago now that I can’t even remember the phrase or context – I had a visceral negative reaction that I couldn’t explain. I heard it again recently and had the same reaction. Using the word ghetto this way is just disrespectful to those who, throughout history have been forced to live in ghettos against their wills.

I’m not against the use of the word ghetto all together; As a noun used to describe a run-down or poverty-stricken area, it’s an ideal choice. But as an adjective – especially dripping from the tongues of those who have never lived in a ghetto – it just doesn’t work. This linguistic trend, I will not embrace.

A little more about "ghetto."

No comments: