Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Write what you know

This is probably the most common tid-bit of writing advice, and there’s a reason: It’s true. It’s always easier to write about something you know and invariably the quality of writing is superior because the writer feels at ease with the language surrounding the subject.

Having spent most of my adult life getting paid to write I have learned that when I am struggling with something, it is usually because I don’t have enough information. I check my notes, I check the background material, I do a little research, and if all this fails I go back to the client and ask for more information. This sometimes puts me in the awkward position of inadvertently pointing out holes in a client’s marketing plan, value proposition, strategy, or overall logic. (I raise questions for which they have no answers.)

Good, smart clients will fill in the gaps quickly or move to address the issue. Mediocre clients will come up with something that’s not quite the best answer, but it’s close enough (and most people won’t notice the difference).

And then there are those evil, mean, wicked, nasty, and bad clients. They turn on ME in such cases, furious that I can’t just “make it work with what you’ve got.”

I’m sorry folks. The arch won’t stand without the keystone.

No comments: