Monday, September 17, 2007

Buildings with windows that don't open

If I was forced to go back to a traditional employment situation, the thing I would miss most would be fresh air. I suspect it’s not just me. Today I had to drive a proof over to someone’s office. It was around lunch time and I had to maneuver my vehicle very carefully through the parking lot to avoid mowing down the many small clusters of employees walking outside. They were all decked out in their office-casual best with little ID badges hanging from breast pockets and waistbands.

I know it’s more expensive to make building with windows that open, but I think it’s just depressing to be inside on a glorious weather day without the opportunity to have the outside creep in near you just a bit. Even the noises are probably beneficial on some level. I’ve referenced before in this blog that I am a few blocks from a local elementary school and I can actually hear the kids outside playing during recess. That has to be on a top-ten list of the most inspiring and energizing sounds (teachers may disagree with me there).

It was very chilly this morning. But by mid-day is was mild and lovely and I opened the window and the fresh September air slipped in and said to me quietly, “get to work!” It was great. I remember life without it and it stinks. Stinks of inside air.

No comments: