Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Survey says...

Since about 60% of my known readership has responded, I figured I could post a follow-up today.

My estimate was near DB’s. I think only 3% of people in big corporate machines are actually thinking about the customer.

In my experience (four companies in about ten years – two XL, one M, one XS), it was a rare moment when I would be in a room with people excited to work on something – I mean REALLY work – sleeves rolled up, sweat dripping, sleep deprivation, poor nutrition, etc. In that ten years, I think it happened about 3% of the time, with 3% of the people.

I love that Jenn and Jodee believe in people and have experienced something different. Hope lives.

Anonymous Waffle House Person is far too early in his "career" to chime in on this (one summer internship does not a career make).

Regarding DB’s question about what is the “right” answer: My problem is that I am so manic that of course I want 100% of the people to be focused on doing what’s right for the customer 100% of the time. Anything less disappoints. That’s why I am SO well-suited to the independent life. Here in the BDO that’s an easy goal to achieve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love a good survey. I also love hearing/seeing others thoughts... especially on the topic of work culture/motivation/management type issues.
I think I was a little too cynical with the 60/40 on my state government workers. After reflection and a good nights sleep I want to change that to 30/70, though still believing that the mis-motivated people rise to positions that subvert the goal of the system in government.
Jodee made a good point about how local you are in the delivery of service affecting your focus. It seems staying close to the goals of customer/project is a key to retaining a motivation to meet them. Maybe how big corporations organize and perform their daily operations pulls them away from this focus. Or maybe it is a more personal mental frame of reference.
Mildly interesting article in the WSJ today about the neuroscience of leadership. Brain imaging showing more activity in occipital region (visual cortex) of "visionary leaders".

While I do think Carole has a dream job, living the independent life. Who else would like to see her start to grow her own company and create the BDO culture on a large scale? IS that even possible/desirable?

Just finishing a Grande,
Doug

Tom Carten said...

Another country checking in. I left my remarks on the survey page.

Tom