Monday, August 20, 2007

Grey Days

100% chance of rain tomorrow. It was 90% today and it rained most of the day. Raining now in fact. But worse than the rain was the cloudy grey sky, which seemed to sink down all around me like a damp, heavy coat, weighing me down, making it impossible to move.

The good news is that after tomorrow the ten-day forecast shows a few "isolated" and "scattered" bits of rain, but not the definitive, un-adorned "rain" that is promised tomorrow. It's just so finite and certain-looking. As if there is no escape.

I hold nothing against the rain or grey skies themselves; the gentle drops can be a comforting sound against my house and cloudy skies have a soft, somber beauty to them. The problem is what it all does to me. My brain feels mired in molasses. I can't get thoughts moving with any sort of momentum. The writing is slow and... frankly... not very good. I labor to push out a few meager words, and then, looking at them on the page, I grimace with disgust. Yuk. My work is yuk when the weather is like this.

With a whole day of it behind me I face another. Maybe I need one of those little fake-sun lamps? More caffeine? More water? Vitamin B? A cleaner desk? A new note pad? Yes. I will try all these things. The grey day will not win!

Aside: Happy Will's Eve!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are the times that require multiple cups of deep blue coffee.

I will put in a plug for the B vitamins too- I take a B-Complex every day, and it has made ALL the difference.

I also recommend purchasing a gadget that you have been thinking of getting, but just have not gotten around to getting yet.

Hope Will gets to read of a Yankee win in the newspaper for his birthday morning...but they better get busy.

DB

Jenn said...

Too funny - I wrote a blog post on somewhat the same topic today... but hit some keystroke and lost it before it was saved. I decided I was not in the mood to recreate it. But it is very rainy here, and despite having to wear non-summer clothing, I am digging it. It's been a while since the sky leaked out here...

And happy b-day to Will - although I will not wish him a Yankee victory. The M's need some space at the top of the wild card race. Of course, they are playing the Angels, so it's good for us if THEY lose, too. Hmmm... OK - for his birthday, the Yankees can win!