Thursday, August 23, 2007

Jersey Fresh, Part III

A-canning we will go. A-canning we will go. Hi-ho the dairy-o a canning we will go.



Why is it called "canning" when you actually put things in jars?

I don't have a real canner, just a big pot with a cookie rack in the bottom. I can only fit four pint jars at a time in it, so I don't do Amish-sized quantities of preserving.

But it's late August and the plants are heavy with delicious ripe fruit. I eat a few each week, give a few away to dear neighbors and friends, and then I still have about 7 lbs of tomatoes left (from only four plants). I canned about 6 lbs last night. The rest are in the fridge (skinned and ready for the jar or some other cooking purpose).

This is what they looked like fresh off the vine. Aren't they SOOOO pretty?!?!



And while we're on the subject, this is my new favorite T-shirt:

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Why do you taunt me so?