Thursday, March 8, 2007

Darn! That's the end.

Went to see "Schoolhouse Rock Live" again tonight. Yes "again."

This is the second time I’ve seen a production of this play. It’s a selection of the original songs strung together loosely around a story line about a young teacher feeling anxious about his first day of school.

I love the Schoolhouse Rock songs. I'm a big, BIG fan. I remember most of the tunes from Grammar Rock and many from America Rock; very few from Multiplication Rock and nearly none from Science Rock. (When I recently purchased an audio CD of SHR “Greatest Hits,” I discovered there was a very lame addition in the 80s called “Money Rock” – not good at all.)

All the SHR songs were written by an ad agency. Isn’t that sort of brilliant? People specifically trained to imprint stuff on our brains working toward a higher educational end. Teachers too are trained to imprint stuff on brains aren’t they? So what’s the difference? Oh yeah. Pay scale. Well, who knows if it really matters… I’m not sure I always learned what I was suppose to learn from SHR. I mean, I can sing many of the songs word-for-word, but I don’t know that I really knew what I was singing about.

“INNNterjections! Show excitement. Or emotion. They’re generally set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point, or by a comma when the feeling’s not as strong. So when your happy (“Hurray!”), or sad (“Awww”), or frightened (“Eek!”), or mad (“Rats!”), or excited (“Wow!”), or glad (“Hey!”), an interjection starts the sentence right!”

I tried to find a good clip of Interjections on You Tube, and didn't. But I did find this clip of the Blind Melon cover of Three is a Magic Number, which is the only really likeable cover on the SHR Rocks CD, as far as I am concerned.

No comments: