Tuesday, March 6, 2007

A little learning every day

A client of mine recently sent me a book titled, “Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads.” It’s written by Luke Sullivan and although it’s really about the entire creative process, the book is written largely from a writer’s point of view. I’ll take a moment here to pause and reflect on the fact that a CLIENT who hired me to write for him sent me a book about how to write. Should I interpret a subtle message in that action?

Subtle messages aside, it’s a freakin’ great book: It’s funny, useful and informative. I’m excited reading it because some of the tips and advice he offers are things I already do (yeah!), AND – even better – I can already see how this book will be an excellent desk reference for me to prompt ideas and movement forward on those rare (snort) occasions when I hit a creative wall, get stuck, or can’t even get started. And this is just the first 50 pages! Imagine once I’ve finished reading the whole thing.

Here are just a few fabulous pearls from what I have read so far:

“Advertising is a craft executed by people who aspire to be artists, but is assessed by those who aspire to be scientists. I cannot imagine any human relationship more perfectly designed to produce total mayhem.” – John Ward, B&B Borland, England

From EH Land, inventor of the Polaroid camera, defining creativity: “the sudden cessation of stupidity.”

Author, Luke Sullivan defining the creative process: “It’s like washing a pig. It’s messy, it has no rules, no clear beginning, middle, or end; it’s kind of a pain in the ass, and when you’re done, you’re not sure if the pig is clean or even why you were washing a pig in the first place.”

Yeah man. I hear ya.

No comments: