Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Food from the BDO: Marinades

Grilling season is upon us and in the spirit of sharing I am posting two marinade recipes with which I recently have had yummy encounters. Please note that I rarely plan far enough ahead to actually shop for specific ingredients so substitutions are standard (and noted below in parens).

No name marinade
1 cup soy sauce
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup dry sherry (I had a little Marsala and a little dry white, which totaled ¼ cup together – booze is booze, right?)
4 cloves garlic, minced

This is actually for a 4-5 lb tenderloin of beef, but I’m thinking I will try it soon with a London broil. It's not exactly earth-shatteringly brilliant, but that's part of its charm in my opinion. It has no name in the cookbook. The recipe says to marinate overnight. I got about 3 hours in.

Afghani Yogurt Marinade
¾ cup of plain yogurt
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
¼ cup chopped parsley
4 cloves garlic, crushed through a press
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (I only had limes in the house)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ teaspoons paprika (YEAH BABY!)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Chuck it all in a food processor or blender and mix until smooth. This one I did tonight with chicken and it was FAB-U! With the cumin and limes and pepper, it was almost a little Mexican-ish. Definitely had a kick to it. The recipe says to marinate for at least 4 hours. I did mine for less than two.

Man I love food.

No comments: