Thursday, April 5, 2007

Everybody has a story

I have set my browser to open every day to “Things at King’s.” The author, Fr. Tom, ran the radio station at King’s College where I went to school and as I read his blog every day I can hear his warm voice and it makes me happy. Usually starts my day off right.

Sometimes, he ends his blogs with a little blurb about someone in the area who recently died. I wish Fr. Tom had been writing his blog in July 2005. That’s when my grandmother died and maybe he would have written about her.

Inspired by him, I’m ripping him off and writing it myself (two years late).

Sylvia (Micoychick) Dicton, 100, passed away in July of 2005. She came to Wilkes-Barre from Poland and met the love of her life, John, while working as a waitress in Percy Brown’s. They married in secret and remained secretly married, living apart, for several weeks, until - during confession, as penance - Sylvia was directed by her parish priest to tell her parents. She broke her leg once stomping on a snake in her yard. Her grandchildren will remember her most for her cooking, and a particularly odd specialty, potato chip crumb cookies (a depression-era treat).

Fr. Tom's are much shorter and tighter, but what the heck. She was my Gram.

1 comment:

Tom Carten said...

Do you have any idea how honored I am to appear like this in a friend's blog? Talk about making someone's day!

Thanks!

I'm going on my yearly cruise and will post the URL where I keep a daily diary which has been popular each time I go.

But for my fans, here is the site:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Look for: "Live From The Noordam 4-11." I'm "tomc" on that board. If you make an entry, just use "tomc" or "Tom," as I prefer to be known there as a radio announcer and not as a priest. Keeps things simpler.