Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hey! That's my stuff they're talking about.

This was a pretty neat experience.

Last night I was in the kitchen whipping up yet another fabulous dining experience for my sweetie and me, when I heard the lead-in to a news story on NPR that made me cock my head inquisitively (you know – the way George Clooney does in just about every movie he’s ever been in).

The story was about education and in particular educational software. Within the first ten words of the story I heard the name of a school I was writing about this week for one of my clients. A few words later, I heard the name of the product which is the focus of these “success stories” I’ve been developing for said client.

A lot of my work is – how to put this – boring. It’s intended for very finite and often small audiences and frequently about things that aren’t particularly interesting to me. Things like medical equipment purchase financing, state sales tax software, mold-inhibiting chemical compounds – I’ve made my point, yes? Of course I enjoy learning about new things and trying to find the best way to communicate them for a specific purpose to a specific audience. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be doing what I am doing.

So it is a particular pleasure when I am fortunate enough to work on projects that mesh with a few of my personal passions (education, kids, literacy). And it was a bonus joy to hear the same work I’ve been documenting, referenced in a story on NPR's All Things Considered. I felt sort of famous by association.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, I LOVE those moments!

Tom said...

lol neato